Analyitics

Saturday, October 1, 2011

5.8 miles

Today was my last run of any length before the ultra. I figured I'd run at a real easy pace about 10:00/mile, which is the pace I'll use to start the ultra. It was a chilly 48 degrees when I stepped out, unseasonable for DC but nicely mimicking the likely starting temperature in the Appalachians, where I'll be running. The miscellaneous aches and pains that have developed since I started tapering haven't gone away. If anything they've gotten worse. Nevertheless, it felt great to get out and run an despite trying to go real slow, I ended up running at a 9:10 pace. This is, incidentally, a pace I feel very happy running at, and possibly a goal pace for the marathon (depending on how I do next Saturday). Running 5.8 miles at this pace was very easy today, even at the end, and I didn't feel at all winded at all when I got back. Not sure if it's due to the fact that I'm getting more in shape, or that the weather was so much cooler than I am used to. It's going to take some real self-control to go slow at the start of the ultra, especially with so many other runners around me!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work. I'd say a 9:10 pace is perfect for that long distance, and what I'm hoping to be able to accomplish (if indeed I ever am able to make it out for a run that long!)

    Going out fast in a race is the hardest thing to avoid. The only way I can imagine keeping a slower pace in the fury of the starting line is to have some tool that keeps you informed of your pace. Perhaps look at your watch very frequently for the first mile? I know RW suggests that you do a lot of what you're doing now: run at your target pace until you can recognize what it feels like when you're in the midst of a run.

    Can't wait to see how you do!

    ReplyDelete