Analyitics

Sunday, October 30, 2011

8.5 miles

After yesterday's snowfall, today was a perfect day for running: sunny, 45 degrees, with just a hint of a breeze.  I had been planning to hit the paths that thread through Washington's monuments, then realized the Marine Corps Marathon was underway.  Hopefully some great new personal records were set today!

I'd like to run the Marine Corps Marathon next year, but it will be only two weeks after the New River Trail 50K, which is also at the top of my list.  This may depend on what my friends are up for.

So, I headed west today, feeling about 90% recovered but ready to launch into my Burlington training plan.  The music for today was Van Morrison's A Night in San Francisco.  If you are into old school rhythm and blues, this is a damn-near perfect album for running: the band is in driving form as Van covers such classics as A Fool For You, Ain't that Loving You Baby, No Rollin' Blues, and It's a Man's Man's Man's World, with help from (among others) John Lee Hooker, Junior Wells and Jimmy Witherspoon.

I would have kept my pace under 9:10, but decided to play it safe and speedwalk up the steep climb from the Anacostia side of the river up onto the East Capitol Street bridge, which brought my overall pace down to 9:14.

I have a few errands to do this afternoon, then when I am done, I plan to settle back into my couch with 1Q84.  I should be at the end of Book One by the end of today!

On a technological note: My Garmin watch recorded my distance today as 8.51 miles, while my new iPhone recorded it as 8.52.  Great! While I like my watch better because it is portable and easy to read while running, I don't like it that much better; if I had had this phone two years ago, I doubt I would have invested in the watch.  I used RunKeeper to record the data today - I'm curious what iPhone apps you like, and why.



Related posts:

Training Plans
What Makes Murakami Addicting?

No comments:

Post a Comment