Analyitics

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fall Reading List

The Cat's Table, by Michael Ondaatje, is getting rave reviews from the New York Times, the New York Times Sunday Book Review, and just about everyone else.  Despite the fact that I felt the New Yorker excerpt didn't work as a short story, I will be picking this up.

So, my fall reading list (with publication dates in parentheses) is shaping up as follows:

The Cat's Table, Michael Ondaatje (10/4)
The Sense of an Ending, Julian Barnes (10/5)
The Stranger's Child, Alan Hollinghurst (10/11)
1Q84, Haruki Murakami (10/25)
The Prague Cemetery, Umberto Eco (11/8)
The Angel Esmeralda, Don DeLillo (11/15)

Holy crap - after a dry summer, what an embarrassment of riches! And on top of that, when it comes time for a break from fiction, there's the new biography of Hemingway due on 10/17, Hemingway's Boat: Everything He Loved in Life, and Lost.  Definitely, there's no need to sit around bemoaning the end of the baseball season.

Are there any upcoming new releases that I am missing?

3 comments:

  1. Good list. Didn't realize DeLillo had a new book coming out! off the top of my head, I know of two new books that I'm interested in (both out now):

    - Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus
    - Neil Stephenson's Reamde

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not been that impressed by Neil Stephenson (read about 50 pages of Cryptonomicon and put it down out of boredom, though of course I recognize that he has millions of fans, so maybe it's just me.

    I seem to remember you also like Stephen King, yes? His new book, 11/22/63 is due out on 11/11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephenson can be dull (I found Anthaem to be unreadably dense, and am wearily eyeing the length of Remade, but his "cyberpunk" novels Snow Crash and Diamond Age are excellent. I'm hoping Remade is similar, but i'll wait until it's out in paperback to find out.

    Incredible that SK has a new book out. He's almost too prolific, and is no longer on my must-read list, as much as I do enjoy most of his books. Having said that, his last book - the short story collection Full Night, No Stars - was so damned dark that I couldn't finish it. You can only read grizzly details about murders for so long - esp. before bed! - before they really start to affect your dreams and by extension the rest of your day.

    ReplyDelete